What is involved in IT Service Desk
Find out what the related areas are that IT Service Desk connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a IT Service Desk thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its IT Service Desk journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward IT Service Desk leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which IT Service Desk related domains to cover and 153 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
IT Service Desk, IT service management, Axios Systems, Business Process Framework, Business process, Capability Maturity Model Integration, Configuration management database, Continual improvement process, Functional requirement, ISO/IEC 20000, ISO/IEC 27000, ISO 9000, IT Service Management Forum, Information Technology Infrastructure Library, Information security management, Information technology, Marval Software, Microsoft Operations Framework, Network and Service Management Taxonomy, Network management, Quality management, Service desk, Software engineering, Systems management, United Kingdom, Workflow management system:
IT Service Desk Critical Criteria:
Wrangle IT Service Desk projects and revise understanding of IT Service Desk architectures.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of IT Service Desk product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Think about the functions involved in your IT Service Desk project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Is Supporting IT Service Desk documentation required?
IT service management Critical Criteria:
Facilitate IT service management projects and finalize the present value of growth of IT service management.
– If SLAs are already negotiated and reference the Catalogue for documentation of the service levels, how do you change service level in the Catalogue without renegotiating the SLA?
– While you can hire consultants to help alleviate the resource crunch for the project, who gets to run them after the consultants leave?
– Why do many organizations stumble or fail in their initial attempts at implementing itsm practices?
– In your organization, which group oversees/coordinates your it Service Management capabilities?
– Which statement best describes your organizations current IT service management strategy?
– What level of service resilience and backup is provided within the service?
– Is there a defined enterprise IT tool strategy and architecture model?
– Are software assets aligned with the agency enterprise architecture?
– Are you thinking about implementing itil standardsbased tools?
– Why are business sponsors for IT projects so important?
– What metrics will be provided and are they relevant?
– How will changes affect the customers services?
– What are reasons to say no to cloud computing?
– What do you see as your major ITSM challenge?
– What is the future of it Service Management?
– What is A good cloud service provider?
– Is ITIL becoming irrelevant?
– What is Service Management?
Axios Systems Critical Criteria:
Start Axios Systems tasks and know what your objective is.
– Consider your own IT Service Desk project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting IT Service Desk with what users do day-to-day?
– What vendors make products that address the IT Service Desk needs?
Business Process Framework Critical Criteria:
Adapt Business Process Framework goals and change contexts.
– Think about the people you identified for your IT Service Desk project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– How likely is the current IT Service Desk plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
Business process Critical Criteria:
Check Business process adoptions and proactively manage Business process risks.
– Have the segments, goals and performance objectives been translated into an actionable and realistic target business and information architecture expressed within business functions, business processes, and information requirements?
– Have senior executives clearly identified and explained concerns regarding Customer Service issues and other change drivers, and emphasized that major improvements are imperative?
– What is the importance of knowing the key performance indicators KPIs for a business process when trying to implement a business intelligence system?
– Are interruptions to business activities counteracted and critical business processes protected from the effects of major failures or disasters?
– When conducting a business process reengineering study, what should we look for when trying to identify business processes to change?
– What are the disruptive IT Service Desk technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Do the functional areas need business process integration (e.g., order entl. billing, or Customer Service)?
– If we process purchase orders; what is the desired business process around supporting purchase orders?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our IT Service Desk agendas for the next 3 years?
– To satisfy customers and stakeholders, which internal business process must we excel in?
– How do clients contact client services with any questions about business processes?
– If we accept checks what is the desired business process around supporting checks?
– How do you inventory and assess business processes as part of an ERP evaluation?
– Will existing staff require re-training, for example, to learn new business processes?
– Do changes in business processes fall under the scope of change management?
– What would Eligible entity be asked to do to facilitate your normal business process?
– What core business processes drive our industry and channel today?
Capability Maturity Model Integration Critical Criteria:
Check Capability Maturity Model Integration management and report on setting up Capability Maturity Model Integration without losing ground.
– Does IT Service Desk create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Are we Assessing IT Service Desk and Risk?
– What is Effective IT Service Desk?
Configuration management database Critical Criteria:
Refer to Configuration management database management and describe the risks of Configuration management database sustainability.
– In which two Service Management processes would you be most likely to use a risk analysis and management method?
– Which cloud Service Management process maintains information in the Configuration Management database (cmdb)?
– The words delta, full and package describe different types of release. Which ones do we use when?
– How is access to the Configuration Management status data controlled?
– In availability management terms, what do the letters cia stand for?
– When can the building, testing and implementation of a change begin?
– If the change does involve a usq, has it been approved by doe?
– Are there design changes associated with the proposed change?
– What are valid performance indicators for the service desk?
– Why implement a Configuration Management database (cmdb)?
– How is information to be collected, stored and reported?
– Which of the entities should be configuration items?
– What should be under configuration control?
– How do I find the information that I need?
– Why are IT Service Desk skills important?
– How do we keep improving IT Service Desk?
– How does it relate to itil?
– Implemented as proposed?
– What work is involved?
– Why a service desk?
Continual improvement process Critical Criteria:
Investigate Continual improvement process outcomes and know what your objective is.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that IT Service Desk objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– What business benefits will IT Service Desk goals deliver if achieved?
– Is there any existing IT Service Desk governance structure?
Functional requirement Critical Criteria:
Scan Functional requirement projects and assess what counts with Functional requirement that we are not counting.
– Many teams will find that informal modeling sessions around whiteboards will be sufficient, although sometimes more formal modeling sessions, such as Joint Application Design (JAD) strategies or stakeholder interviews will work best. How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to IT Service Desk? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether IT Service Desk goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Does the current environment support the business and functional requirements?
– Does the current environment support the business and functional requirements?
– What are the Key enablers to make this IT Service Desk move?
ISO/IEC 20000 Critical Criteria:
Guide ISO/IEC 20000 goals and define what do we need to start doing with ISO/IEC 20000.
– How do we ensure that implementations of IT Service Desk products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Will we be eligible for ISO/IEC 20000 certification?
– What are specific IT Service Desk Rules to follow?
ISO/IEC 27000 Critical Criteria:
Design ISO/IEC 27000 decisions and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in ISO/IEC 27000.
– How will you know that the IT Service Desk project has been successful?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your IT Service Desk activities?
– Is IT Service Desk Required?
ISO 9000 Critical Criteria:
Focus on ISO 9000 results and tour deciding if ISO 9000 progress is made.
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding IT Service Desk?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a IT Service Desk strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Do not ISO 9000 and CMM certifications loose their meaning when applied to the software industry?
– How will you measure your IT Service Desk effectiveness?
IT Service Management Forum Critical Criteria:
Refer to IT Service Management Forum leadership and define what do we need to start doing with IT Service Management Forum.
– Does IT Service Desk include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– Among the IT Service Desk product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Think of your IT Service Desk project. what are the main functions?
Information Technology Infrastructure Library Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Information Technology Infrastructure Library visions and give examples utilizing a core of simple Information Technology Infrastructure Library skills.
– Do we all define IT Service Desk in the same way?
Information security management Critical Criteria:
Match Information security management visions and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Information security management services.
– Has the organization established an Identity and Access Management program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines and which identifies users and network devices?
– Has the organization established an enterprise-wide business continuity/disaster recovery program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines?
– Is there a business continuity/disaster recovery plan in place?
– Are damage assessment and disaster recovery plans in place?
– What are the business goals IT Service Desk is aiming to achieve?
– Are there IT Service Desk Models?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Infer Information technology issues and find the ideas you already have.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect IT Service Desk workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as IT Service Desk leaders?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– How do we Improve IT Service Desk service perception, and satisfaction?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Marval Software Critical Criteria:
Chat re Marval Software outcomes and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Marval Software.
– How do mission and objectives affect the IT Service Desk processes of our organization?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with IT Service Desk ?
– How would one define IT Service Desk leadership?
Microsoft Operations Framework Critical Criteria:
Discuss Microsoft Operations Framework quality and point out improvements in Microsoft Operations Framework.
– What are the key elements of your IT Service Desk performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– In a project to restructure IT Service Desk outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of IT Service Desk activities?
Network and Service Management Taxonomy Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Network and Service Management Taxonomy adoptions and catalog Network and Service Management Taxonomy activities.
– In the case of a IT Service Desk project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a IT Service Desk project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any IT Service Desk project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate IT Service Desk delivery for example is new software needed?
Network management Critical Criteria:
Design Network management risks and reduce Network management costs.
– Is the IT Service Desk organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– How do we go about Comparing IT Service Desk approaches/solutions?
Quality management Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Quality management management and sort Quality management activities.
– What is the future of Data Quality management?
– How can skill-level changes improve IT Service Desk?
– Quality management -are clients satisfied?
Service desk Critical Criteria:
Think about Service desk results and pioneer acquisition of Service desk systems.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which IT Service Desk models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Will we be eligible for ISOIEC 20000 certification, even if our Service Desk, infrastructure management and applications management functions are located in different countries?
– Does the service provider have a service desk function based on itil principles?
– How does mobility improve your organizations service desk effectiveness?
– Is the cloud service providers service desk local, onshore or offshore?
– Does the service provider have a service desk function based on ITIL principles?
– Is the cloud service providers service desk local, onshore or offshore?
– Are You Running Your Service Desk or is Your Service Desk Running You?
– Which incidents should be logged by the service desk?
– Are there IT Service Desk problems defined?
Software engineering Critical Criteria:
Derive from Software engineering management and catalog Software engineering activities.
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– How do we go about Securing IT Service Desk?
Systems management Critical Criteria:
Analyze Systems management risks and ask what if.
– Who needs to know about IT Service Desk ?
United Kingdom Critical Criteria:
Inquire about United Kingdom risks and look in other fields.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your IT Service Desk strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
Workflow management system Critical Criteria:
Dissect Workflow management system issues and find the essential reading for Workflow management system researchers.
– What will drive IT Service Desk change?
– How do we Lead with IT Service Desk in Mind?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the IT Service Desk Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
IT Service Desk External links:
IT Service Desk | Information Technology
IT Service Desk Software – samanage.com
http://Ad · www.samanage.com/it/service-desk
Headquarters IT Service Desk | Service Desk
IT service management External links:
IT Service Management | Availability Management | Optanix
How to Improve Your IT Service Management Process: 9 …
Remedy 9 – IT Service Management Suite – BMC Software
Axios Systems External links:
Axios Systems – YouTube
Axios Systems assyst Reviews | G2 Crowd
Axios Systems – Home | Facebook
Business Process Framework External links:
Product Documentation for Business Process Framework
Business Process Framework (eTOM) – TM Forum
BUSINESS PROCESS FRAMEWORK – Bank of America …
Business process External links:
[PDF]Business Process Guide Position Management : …
20 Best Title:(business Process Manager) jobs (Hiring …
What is business process? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Capability Maturity Model Integration External links:
[PDF]Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) Overview
Functional requirement External links:
[DOC]Functional Requirements Document – Maryland
What is functional and non functional requirement? – …
What is functional and non functional requirement?
ISO/IEC 20000 External links:
http://ISO/IEC 20000 is the first international standard for IT service management. It was developed in 2005, by ISO/IEC JTC1/SC7 and revised in 2011. It is based on and intended to supersede the earlier BS 15000 that was developed by BSI Group.
ISO/IEC 20000. (eBook, 2010) [WorldCat.org]
ISO/IEC 27000 External links:
ISO/IEC 27000 glossary standard – iso27001security.com
ISO/IEC 27000 Series – WordPress.com
ISO 9000 External links:
List of Accredited Registrars, ISO 9000, ISO 14000, …
Benefits of ISO 9000 – Perry Johnson Registrars, Inc.
What is ISO 9000? – Definition from WhatIs.com
IT Service Management Forum External links:
IT Service Management Forum – Yell.com
Information Technology Infrastructure Library External links:
[PDF]Information Technology Infrastructure Library – ITIL®
Information security management External links:
Information Security Management Company | …
[PDF]TITLE: INFORMATION SECURITY MANAGEMENT …
Federal Information Security Management Act of 2002 – NIST
Information technology External links:
Umail | University Information Technology Services
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
OHIO: Office of Information Technology |About Email
Marval Software External links:
[PDF]Marval Software Ltd. for Incident Management – The …
Marval Software – Home | Facebook
Marval Software · GitHub
Microsoft Operations Framework External links:
Microsoft Operations Framework
Exin MOFF.EN Microsoft Operations Framework …
Microsoft Operations Framework 4.0
Network and Service Management Taxonomy External links:
Network and Service Management Taxonomy – Simpleweb
Network and service management taxonomy – revolvy.com
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Network and service management taxonomy
Network management External links:
Remote Network Management | Legrand
What is Network Management? Webopedia Definition
OSPINSIGHT – Fiber Optic Network Management
Quality management External links:
abaqis® | Quality Management System
Quality Management Training Solutions from BSI
Service desk External links:
Login – Sykes Service Desk
Service Desk Manager – Login
CA Service Desk Manager – Login
Software engineering External links:
Academy for Software Engineering / Homepage
Codesmith | Software Engineering & Machine Learning
Software Engineering Institute
Systems management External links:
Geographic Information Systems Management Office – …
– Operation Processes and Systems Management …
Welcome to the Mail Systems Management Association
United Kingdom External links:
BBC Weather – United Kingdom
Furniture & Home Furnishings | IKEA United Kingdom
Calendar for Year 2017 (United Kingdom) – Time and Date
Workflow management system External links:
Document Management & Workflow Management System …
Workflow Management System | Issuetrak
eSchoolView Workflow Management System