What is involved in Commercial off-the-shelf
Find out what the related areas are that Commercial off-the-shelf connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Commercial off-the-shelf thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Commercial off-the-shelf journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Commercial off-the-shelf leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Commercial off-the-shelf related domains to cover and 101 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Commercial off-the-shelf, Commercial software, Commodity off-the-shelf, Competitive procurement, Creeping featurism, Custom software, Federal Acquisition Regulation, Federal government of the United States, Government off-the-shelf, IEC 62304, Independent software vendor, Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor, Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II, Medical device, Non-recurring engineering, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 3 cluster, Rube Goldberg machine, SANS Institute, Software development, Software development process, Software of unknown pedigree, Sole source, Sony Computer Entertainment, Spare part, Supply chain cyber security, US Air Force, United States Department of Homeland Security, Vendor lock-in:
Commercial off-the-shelf Critical Criteria:
Study Commercial off-the-shelf leadership and differentiate in coordinating Commercial off-the-shelf.
– Does Commercial off-the-shelf include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– Is sufficient schedule time allocated to allow for dependencies on commercial off-the-shelf cots product deliveries?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Commercial off-the-shelf ?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Commercial off-the-shelf project?
Commercial software Critical Criteria:
Start Commercial software management and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Commercial software is getting what it needs.
– Can we add value to the current Commercial off-the-shelf decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Commercial off-the-shelf strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Commercial off-the-shelf agendas for the next 3 years?
Commodity off-the-shelf Critical Criteria:
Discourse Commodity off-the-shelf visions and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Commodity off-the-shelf.
– In what ways are Commercial off-the-shelf vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– How would one define Commercial off-the-shelf leadership?
Competitive procurement Critical Criteria:
Mine Competitive procurement visions and remodel and develop an effective Competitive procurement strategy.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Commercial off-the-shelf models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Does Commercial off-the-shelf analysis show the relationships among important Commercial off-the-shelf factors?
– Is a Commercial off-the-shelf Team Work effort in place?
Creeping featurism Critical Criteria:
Check Creeping featurism issues and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Creeping featurism.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Commercial off-the-shelf process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Commercial off-the-shelf process available?
– Do those selected for the Commercial off-the-shelf team have a good general understanding of what Commercial off-the-shelf is all about?
– How can skill-level changes improve Commercial off-the-shelf?
Custom software Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Custom software risks and be persistent.
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Commercial off-the-shelf moving forward?
– Will Commercial off-the-shelf deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– How much does Commercial off-the-shelf help?
Federal Acquisition Regulation Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Federal Acquisition Regulation tactics and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Commercial off-the-shelf workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Commercial off-the-shelf delivery for example is new software needed?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Commercial off-the-shelf leaders?
Federal government of the United States Critical Criteria:
Match Federal government of the United States quality and remodel and develop an effective Federal government of the United States strategy.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Commercial off-the-shelf leader?
– Is there a Commercial off-the-shelf Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– How do we Improve Commercial off-the-shelf service perception, and satisfaction?
Government off-the-shelf Critical Criteria:
Focus on Government off-the-shelf adoptions and budget for Government off-the-shelf challenges.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Commercial off-the-shelf processes of our organization?
– How is the value delivered by Commercial off-the-shelf being measured?
IEC 62304 Critical Criteria:
Communicate about IEC 62304 management and proactively manage IEC 62304 risks.
– How important is Commercial off-the-shelf to the user organizations mission?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Commercial off-the-shelf move?
– What is our Commercial off-the-shelf Strategy?
Independent software vendor Critical Criteria:
Test Independent software vendor tactics and secure Independent software vendor creativity.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Commercial off-the-shelf experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– How likely is the current Commercial off-the-shelf plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– What are specific Commercial off-the-shelf Rules to follow?
Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor quality and interpret which customers can’t participate in Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor because they lack skills.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Commercial off-the-shelf product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Does Commercial off-the-shelf systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Is Commercial off-the-shelf Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II Critical Criteria:
Depict Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II goals and summarize a clear Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II focus.
– What is the purpose of Commercial off-the-shelf in relation to the mission?
– Do we all define Commercial off-the-shelf in the same way?
– What threat is Commercial off-the-shelf addressing?
Medical device Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Medical device tasks and display thorough understanding of the Medical device process.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Commercial off-the-shelf?
– Does Commercial off-the-shelf analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Commercial off-the-shelf activities?
Non-recurring engineering Critical Criteria:
Investigate Non-recurring engineering decisions and prioritize challenges of Non-recurring engineering.
– What are the key elements of your Commercial off-the-shelf performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– What are the disruptive Commercial off-the-shelf technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Is the scope of Commercial off-the-shelf defined?
PlayStation 3 Critical Criteria:
Deduce PlayStation 3 quality and develop and take control of the PlayStation 3 initiative.
– Which customers cant participate in our Commercial off-the-shelf domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– What are the usability implications of Commercial off-the-shelf actions?
– Do we have past Commercial off-the-shelf Successes?
PlayStation 3 cluster Critical Criteria:
Consider PlayStation 3 cluster results and arbitrate PlayStation 3 cluster techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– What are our Commercial off-the-shelf Processes?
Rube Goldberg machine Critical Criteria:
Rank Rube Goldberg machine planning and differentiate in coordinating Rube Goldberg machine.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Commercial off-the-shelf forward?
– Does the Commercial off-the-shelf task fit the clients priorities?
SANS Institute Critical Criteria:
Match SANS Institute risks and gather practices for scaling SANS Institute.
– Why should we adopt a Commercial off-the-shelf framework?
– How to deal with Commercial off-the-shelf Changes?
Software development Critical Criteria:
Test Software development governance and transcribe Software development as tomorrows backbone for success.
– When you are identifying the potential technical strategy(s) you have several process factors that you should address. As with initial scoping how much detail you go into when documenting the architecture, the views that you create, and your approach to modeling are important considerations. Furthermore, will you be considering one or more candidate architectures and what is your overall delivery strategy?
– Management buy-in is a concern. Many program managers are worried that upper-level management would ask for progress reports and productivity metrics that would be hard to gather in an Agile work environment. Management ignorance of Agile methodologies is also a worry. Will Agile advantages be able to overcome the well-known existing problems in software development?
– The sprint backlog is the list of work the team must address during the next sprint. The list is derived by selecting stories/features from the top of the product backlog until the team feels they have enough work to fill the sprint. Is this done by the team asking, Can we also do this?
– What if your business needs are still emerging and certain aspects of the system are rapidly changing or cannot be defined yet?
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– Is our organization clear about the relationship between agile software development and DevOps?
– What if we substitute prototyping for user interface screens on paper?
– Should you have a strict project sequence, or should you be flexible?
– What are the a best practices for Agile SCRUM Product Management?
– Is open source software development essentially an agile method?
– How can Trello be used as an Agile project management tool?
– From Waterfall to Agile How does a QA Team Transition?
– How do you best coordinate Agile and non-Agile teams?
– How can a conceptual agile framework be developed?
– Is Internet-speed software development different?
– What Can We Learn From a Theory of Complexity?
– Will the team be populated by stakeholders?
– What are you planning to complete today?
– Heritage of traditional methods?
– What is ASD to us?
Software development process Critical Criteria:
Sort Software development process quality and get out your magnifying glass.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Commercial off-the-shelf processes?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Commercial off-the-shelf requirements in detail?
Software of unknown pedigree Critical Criteria:
Dissect Software of unknown pedigree visions and adjust implementation of Software of unknown pedigree.
Sole source Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Sole source outcomes and pay attention to the small things.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Commercial off-the-shelf strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– How do we maintain Commercial off-the-shelfs Integrity?
Sony Computer Entertainment Critical Criteria:
Consider Sony Computer Entertainment visions and change contexts.
– Does Commercial off-the-shelf create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Commercial off-the-shelf project?
Spare part Critical Criteria:
Track Spare part adoptions and report on developing an effective Spare part strategy.
– Do Commercial off-the-shelf rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– What are the business goals Commercial off-the-shelf is aiming to achieve?
– How can you measure Commercial off-the-shelf in a systematic way?
Supply chain cyber security Critical Criteria:
Adapt Supply chain cyber security engagements and correct better engagement with Supply chain cyber security results.
– For your Commercial off-the-shelf project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– What are our needs in relation to Commercial off-the-shelf skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
US Air Force Critical Criteria:
Explore US Air Force engagements and display thorough understanding of the US Air Force process.
– Think about the people you identified for your Commercial off-the-shelf project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
United States Department of Homeland Security Critical Criteria:
Consider United States Department of Homeland Security strategies and create United States Department of Homeland Security explanations for all managers.
– Is there any existing Commercial off-the-shelf governance structure?
Vendor lock-in Critical Criteria:
Define Vendor lock-in quality and define Vendor lock-in competency-based leadership.
– What should an organization consider before migrating its applications and operating system to the public cloud to prevent vendor lock-in?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Commercial off-the-shelf process?
– Do you see areas in your domain or across domains where vendor lock-in is a potential risk?
– Who needs to know about Commercial off-the-shelf ?
– What is an example of cloud vendor lock-in?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Commercial off-the-shelf Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Commercial off-the-shelf External links:
commercial off-the-shelf – Wiktionary
Commercial Off-the-Shelf Software 2012 (COTS 2012)
[PPT]COMMERCIAL OFF-THE-SHELF (COTS)
Commercial software External links:
TCR | Commercial Software Submissions
E-file approved commercial software providers for …
Commercial Software Assessment Guideline | …
Commodity off-the-shelf External links:
COTS abbreviation stands for Commodity Off-The-Shelf
Competitive procurement External links:
Competitive Procurement of Legal Services – Governor Tom Wolf
RFP #18-013: Competitive Procurement Contracts: NYSED
Competitive Procurement – rfp-templates.com
Creeping featurism External links:
Hacker Dictionary :: Terms :: creeping featurism
What is Creeping Featurism? Webopedia Definition
creeping featurism – catb.org
Custom software External links:
Devbridge – Custom software design and development
PromptWorks | Custom Software Done Right | Philadelphia
Orases – We Make Custom Software Easy
Federal Acquisition Regulation External links:
FAR (Federal Acquisition Regulation)
Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) | Acquisition.GOV
IEC 62304 External links:
Checklist for IEC 62304:2006 – Sample Pages
IEC 62304:20 15 – RCGlobal
Independent software vendor External links:
Independent Software Vendor (ISV) – ISCORP
Independent Software Vendor (ISV) Partners | Five9
Independent Software Vendor Provider Partners
Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor External links:
Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor in HD – YouTube
Medical device External links:
Cadence Inc – Medical Device Contract Manufacturing
Medical Device Design & Manufacturing & Outsourcing | Integer
Home – Mesh Medical Device News Desk
Non-recurring engineering External links:
Non-Recurring Engineering (NRE) and Tooling Costs
PlayStation 3 External links:
AMY for PlayStation 3 Reviews – Metacritic
25 Best PlayStation 3 Games – Metacritic
PlayStation 3 (PS3) Cheats & Codes – CheatCodes.com
PlayStation 3 cluster External links:
MD5 Algorithm Hacked By Playstation 3 Cluster | Gearfuse
PlayStation 3 Cluster, Or Skynet? – Kotaku
Rube Goldberg machine External links:
amazing rube goldberg machine – YouTube
Photography-themed Rube Goldberg machine. [VIDEO]
How to Build a Homemade Rube Goldberg Machine: 10 Steps
SANS Institute External links:
SANS Institute (@SANSInstitute) | Twitter
SANS Institute: ICS Security Training Courses Excerpts
Software development process External links:
What is Software Development Process? – Definition …
Software of unknown pedigree External links:
Software of unknown pedigree – WOW.com
SOUP – Software of Unknown Pedigree | AcronymFinder
Software of Unknown Pedigree – How is Software of …
Sole source External links:
Sole Source Aquifers for Drinking Water | US EPA
Sole Source Capital – Sole Website
Sole Source Exemptions | Procurement Services
Sony Computer Entertainment External links:
Amazon.com: Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault – Playstation 3: Sony Computer Entertainment America: Video Games
[PDF]SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT, INC.,  …
Spare part External links:
Accessories and Spare Part for Ninebot by Segway Products
Spare parts original Cat | Spare parts
US Air Force External links:
US Air Force Academy (Official) – Home | Facebook
Vendor lock-in External links:
What Is Software Vendor Lock-In? (And How to Avoid It)