What is involved in VMware vSphere
Find out what the related areas are that VMware vSphere connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a VMware vSphere thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its VMware vSphere journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward VMware vSphere leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which VMware vSphere related domains to cover and 154 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
VMware vSphere, VMware Player, Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization, Proprietary software, Windows 7, Microsoft Virtual Server, Oracle VM Server for SPARC, Software license, Solaris Containers, Virtual Extensible LAN, Citrix XenDesktop, Spin-off product, Cooperative Linux, Kernel-based Virtual Machine, SAP HANA, Open vSwitch, Parallels Server for Mac, Parallels Workstation, VMware Workstation, Microsoft App-V, Virtual security switch, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows on Windows, Oracle VM Server for x86, VCloud Air, Software release life cycle, Cloud computing, Application virtualization, VMware Infrastructure, Virtual DOS machine, Distributed Overlay Virtual Ethernet, ICore Virtual Accounts, Parallels Desktop for Mac, Linux namespaces, Proxmox VE, VMware vSphere, System Center Virtual Machine Manager, Workload Partitions, Virtual Iron, VMware ThinApp, FreeBSD jail, Network Virtualization using Generic Routing Encapsulation, Comparison of platform virtualization software, Desktop virtualization, Virtual Machine Manager, Hardware virtualization, VMware Horizon View:
VMware vSphere Critical Criteria:
Test VMware vSphere strategies and define VMware vSphere competency-based leadership.
– How important is VMware vSphere to the user organizations mission?
– How can the value of VMware vSphere be defined?
– Are there VMware vSphere problems defined?
VMware Player Critical Criteria:
Unify VMware Player tasks and plan concise VMware Player education.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once VMware vSphere is underway?
– How do we keep improving VMware vSphere?
– Are there VMware vSphere Models?
Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Critical Criteria:
Steer Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization engagements and create a map for yourself.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate VMware vSphere delivery for example is new software needed?
– What are the Key enablers to make this VMware vSphere move?
– Are we Assessing VMware vSphere and Risk?
Proprietary software Critical Criteria:
Participate in Proprietary software tactics and point out improvements in Proprietary software.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect VMware vSphere workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Who needs to know about VMware vSphere ?
Windows 7 Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Windows 7 governance and innovate what needs to be done with Windows 7.
– Is VMware vSphere dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– Which of my PCs can run Windows 7, Microsoft Office 2010, and Office 365?
– Who will provide the final approval of VMware vSphere deliverables?
– What is Effective VMware vSphere?
Microsoft Virtual Server Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Microsoft Virtual Server tactics and track iterative Microsoft Virtual Server results.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for VMware vSphere strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of VMware vSphere that make it risky?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom VMware vSphere project?
Oracle VM Server for SPARC Critical Criteria:
Study Oracle VM Server for SPARC results and finalize specific methods for Oracle VM Server for SPARC acceptance.
– Do the VMware vSphere decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– How likely is the current VMware vSphere plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
Software license Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Software license leadership and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Software license.
– What implementation technologies/resources (e.g., programming languages, development platforms, software licenses) does the provider support?
– Is our software usage in compliance with software license agreements?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in VMware vSphere?
Solaris Containers Critical Criteria:
Focus on Solaris Containers engagements and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed VMware vSphere opportunities costing us money?
Virtual Extensible LAN Critical Criteria:
Focus on Virtual Extensible LAN engagements and change contexts.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the VMware vSphere process?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as VMware vSphere leaders?
– What is our formula for success in VMware vSphere ?
Citrix XenDesktop Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Citrix XenDesktop issues and give examples utilizing a core of simple Citrix XenDesktop skills.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your VMware vSphere project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Who sets the VMware vSphere standards?
– Are there recognized VMware vSphere problems?
Spin-off product Critical Criteria:
Think about Spin-off product leadership and assess and formulate effective operational and Spin-off product strategies.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a VMware vSphere strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– What about VMware vSphere Analysis of results?
Cooperative Linux Critical Criteria:
Group Cooperative Linux decisions and find answers.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new VMware vSphere in a volatile global economy?
Kernel-based Virtual Machine Critical Criteria:
Infer Kernel-based Virtual Machine visions and differentiate in coordinating Kernel-based Virtual Machine.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good VMware vSphere project manager?
– Does VMware vSphere analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– How would one define VMware vSphere leadership?
SAP HANA Critical Criteria:
Align SAP HANA issues and find the essential reading for SAP HANA researchers.
– What management system can we use to leverage the VMware vSphere experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
Open vSwitch Critical Criteria:
Think about Open vSwitch goals and correct better engagement with Open vSwitch results.
– How do your measurements capture actionable VMware vSphere information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Can we do VMware vSphere without complex (expensive) analysis?
– What are the usability implications of VMware vSphere actions?
Parallels Server for Mac Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Parallels Server for Mac risks and perfect Parallels Server for Mac conflict management.
– In the case of a VMware vSphere project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a VMware vSphere project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any VMware vSphere project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
Parallels Workstation Critical Criteria:
Read up on Parallels Workstation failures and correct Parallels Workstation management by competencies.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the VMware vSphere requirements in detail?
VMware Workstation Critical Criteria:
Depict VMware Workstation issues and get the big picture.
– Does VMware vSphere systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
Microsoft App-V Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Microsoft App-V governance and innovate what needs to be done with Microsoft App-V.
– Which customers cant participate in our VMware vSphere domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– How is the value delivered by VMware vSphere being measured?
Virtual security switch Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Virtual security switch management and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these VMware vSphere processes?
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of VMware vSphere into the services that we provide?
Windows Server 2008 R2 Critical Criteria:
Reason over Windows Server 2008 R2 planning and question.
– Which of my servers are capable of migrating to Windows Server 2008 R2, or can be virtualized using Hyper-V?
– What are all of our VMware vSphere domains and what do they do?
Windows on Windows Critical Criteria:
Drive Windows on Windows leadership and secure Windows on Windows creativity.
– Consider your own VMware vSphere project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Can we add value to the current VMware vSphere decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– What business benefits will VMware vSphere goals deliver if achieved?
Oracle VM Server for x86 Critical Criteria:
Model after Oracle VM Server for x86 failures and create a map for yourself.
– What is the total cost related to deploying VMware vSphere, including any consulting or professional services?
VCloud Air Critical Criteria:
Accumulate VCloud Air results and stake your claim.
– What are the long-term VMware vSphere goals?
– How do we maintain VMware vSpheres Integrity?
Software release life cycle Critical Criteria:
Rank Software release life cycle tactics and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Software release life cycle projects.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that VMware vSphere objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
Cloud computing Critical Criteria:
Chart Cloud computing projects and observe effective Cloud computing.
– Security and authentication technologies, allied to event logging, in the cloud computing environment can help auditors as they deal with issues related to workflow were those who entered, approved, changed or otherwise touched data authorized to do so, on an individual, group or role-related basis?
– The lack of research tools is unfortunate given that even the most fundamental questions are still unanswered: what is the right distributed architecture for a cloudcomputing system?
– Governance: Is there a governance structure to ensure that PII is managed and protected through its life cycle, even when it is stored or processed in a cloud computing environment?
– How can we create a secure environment to protect our data, especially when new business models like cloud computing and mobility leave us with little control over it?
– Time to market improvements. Will the move to cloud computing shorten the time it takes to deliver functional enhancements to end users?
– For a customer-facing application, is the move to cloud computing expected to increase the number of customers accessing it?
– Will the move to cloud computing shorten the time it takes to deliver functional enhancements to end users?
– How do you prove data provenance in a cloud computing scenario when you are using shared resources?
– What are the key business and technical challenges of transitioning to a cloud computing strategy?
– Recoverability: how will the service provider respond to disasters and ensure continued service?
– What is the name of the organization helping to foster security standards for cloud computing?
– What new opportunities are either enabled by or potential drivers of cloud computing?
– What makes cloud computing well suited for supply chain management applications?
– Amazon web services is which type of cloud computing distribution model?
– Have you taken into account the vulnerabilities of the cloud solution?
– Is cloud computing a threat to the real sense of ownership?
– Is there any recourses about cloud computing performance?
– What are the benefits of cloud computing to consumers?
– Can we accelerate DevOps with Hybrid Cloud?
– Should we evaluate a hybrid cloud strategy?
Application virtualization Critical Criteria:
Canvass Application virtualization goals and remodel and develop an effective Application virtualization strategy.
– Which product provides an application virtualization solution?
– Does VMware vSphere appropriately measure and monitor risk?
– How much does VMware vSphere help?
VMware Infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Adapt VMware Infrastructure quality and separate what are the business goals VMware Infrastructure is aiming to achieve.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a VMware vSphere process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the VMware vSphere process available?
– Have the types of risks that may impact VMware vSphere been identified and analyzed?
– Is the scope of VMware vSphere defined?
Virtual DOS machine Critical Criteria:
Drive Virtual DOS machine projects and integrate design thinking in Virtual DOS machine innovation.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once VMware vSphere is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Is there a VMware vSphere Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– What potential environmental factors impact the VMware vSphere effort?
Distributed Overlay Virtual Ethernet Critical Criteria:
Mix Distributed Overlay Virtual Ethernet failures and revise understanding of Distributed Overlay Virtual Ethernet architectures.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing VMware vSphere? There might be some that are less obvious?
ICore Virtual Accounts Critical Criteria:
Steer ICore Virtual Accounts tactics and create ICore Virtual Accounts explanations for all managers.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if VMware vSphere does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– How will you measure your VMware vSphere effectiveness?
Parallels Desktop for Mac Critical Criteria:
Add value to Parallels Desktop for Mac management and ask what if.
Linux namespaces Critical Criteria:
Review Linux namespaces adoptions and assess and formulate effective operational and Linux namespaces strategies.
– How can you negotiate VMware vSphere successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– How can skill-level changes improve VMware vSphere?
Proxmox VE Critical Criteria:
Jump start Proxmox VE goals and gather Proxmox VE models .
– Will VMware vSphere have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Do VMware vSphere rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
VMware vSphere Critical Criteria:
Derive from VMware vSphere tactics and overcome VMware vSphere skills and management ineffectiveness.
– what is the best design framework for VMware vSphere organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– How can we improve VMware vSphere?
System Center Virtual Machine Manager Critical Criteria:
Think about System Center Virtual Machine Manager leadership and pioneer acquisition of System Center Virtual Machine Manager systems.
– Will VMware vSphere deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– Is a VMware vSphere Team Work effort in place?
Workload Partitions Critical Criteria:
Adapt Workload Partitions tactics and report on developing an effective Workload Partitions strategy.
– How do mission and objectives affect the VMware vSphere processes of our organization?
– How do we measure improved VMware vSphere service perception, and satisfaction?
– When a VMware vSphere manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
Virtual Iron Critical Criteria:
Check Virtual Iron leadership and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Virtual Iron information.
– Does VMware vSphere analysis show the relationships among important VMware vSphere factors?
– What is the source of the strategies for VMware vSphere strengthening and reform?
VMware ThinApp Critical Criteria:
Distinguish VMware ThinApp governance and improve VMware ThinApp service perception.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting VMware vSphere with what users do day-to-day?
– What are the barriers to increased VMware vSphere production?
FreeBSD jail Critical Criteria:
Meet over FreeBSD jail risks and research ways can we become the FreeBSD jail company that would put us out of business.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of VMware vSphere product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of VMware vSphere?
Network Virtualization using Generic Routing Encapsulation Critical Criteria:
Investigate Network Virtualization using Generic Routing Encapsulation quality and mentor Network Virtualization using Generic Routing Encapsulation customer orientation.
– Is VMware vSphere Required?
Comparison of platform virtualization software Critical Criteria:
Investigate Comparison of platform virtualization software failures and oversee Comparison of platform virtualization software requirements.
– In a project to restructure VMware vSphere outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Does the VMware vSphere task fit the clients priorities?
– How do we Lead with VMware vSphere in Mind?
Desktop virtualization Critical Criteria:
Start Desktop virtualization outcomes and forecast involvement of future Desktop virtualization projects in development.
– How would the developing vdi (vmware) and ddi (citrix) solutions meet the desktop virtualization challenges presented by ringling college?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a VMware vSphere project?
Virtual Machine Manager Critical Criteria:
Probe Virtual Machine Manager adoptions and remodel and develop an effective Virtual Machine Manager strategy.
– What are the key elements of your VMware vSphere performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
Hardware virtualization Critical Criteria:
Survey Hardware virtualization management and report on developing an effective Hardware virtualization strategy.
– What are specific VMware vSphere Rules to follow?
– How to deal with VMware vSphere Changes?
VMware Horizon View Critical Criteria:
Accommodate VMware Horizon View tasks and explore and align the progress in VMware Horizon View.
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the VMware vSphere Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
VMware Player External links:
VMware Player – Download
VMware Player lets users run multiple operating systems on one computer. Do you have to run Windows for work but prefer Linux for pleasure? Not a problem! The
Downloading VMware Player – VMware Knowledge Base
Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization External links:
Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager Demo – YouTube
Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization With RHCVA Exam …
Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization – YouTube
Proprietary software External links:
Disadvantages of Proprietary Software | Chron.com
What is Proprietary Software? – Definition from Techopedia
Proprietary Software for Free | USC Spatial Sciences Institute
Windows 7 External links:
Download System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 …
Windows 7 Product Key • Windows ISO
Activate Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 – Windows Help
Microsoft Virtual Server External links:
Download Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 – …
Download Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 Update …
Companies using Microsoft Virtual Server – iDataLabs
Oracle VM Server for SPARC External links:
[PDF]Oracle VM Server for SPARC Administration
Oracle VM Server for SPARC Version 3.2
[PDF]SPARC Enterprise Oracle VM Server for SPARC Guide
Software license External links:
QuickBooks Terms of Service & Software License …
Legal – Software License Agreements – Apple
[PDF]2016 Drake Software License and Non-Disclosure …
Solaris Containers External links:
Solaris Containers – YouTube
SAM and Solaris Containers |THWACK
Solaris Containers – XebiaLabs
Virtual Extensible LAN External links:
Virtual Extensible LAN (VXLAN) – YouTube
Virtual Extensible LAN (VXLAN) on Nexus NX-OS – INE
What is VXLAN (Virtual Extensible LAN)? – Definition …
Citrix XenDesktop External links:
Windows 10 Compatibility with Citrix XenDesktop
What is Citrix XenDesktop? – Definition from WhatIs.com
95% off Citrix XenDesktop 7.6 Course Udemy – Udemy …
Spin-off product External links:
Spry Spin-off Product Launch – YouTube
Cooperative Linux External links:
[PDF]Condor and Cooperative Linux – Innovative
GitHub – da-x/colinux: Cooperative Linux mirror
Kernel-based Virtual Machine External links:
Kernel-Based Virtual Machine – reddit
KVM – Kernel-based Virtual Machine
SAP HANA External links:
SAP HANA Deployment Options | On Premise, Cloud, or Hybrid
SAP HANA Academy – YouTube
What is SAP HANA? – Definition from Techopedia
Open vSwitch External links:
The Design and Implementation of Open vSwitch | USENIX
Basic Configuration — Open vSwitch 2.9.90 documentation
Open vSwitch Cheat Sheet – The Random Security Guy
Parallels Server for Mac External links:
Parallels Server for Mac : Free Download : MacUpdate
Parallels Server for Mac Bare Metal Edition – Google Groups
[PDF]Parallels Server for Mac 4
Parallels Workstation External links:
Parallels Workstation | Access Tufts
Parallels Workstation – Download
Download Parallels Workstation 2.2
VMware Workstation External links:
VMware Workstation – Download
Vmware Workstation 12 – Download.com
Microsoft App-V External links:
Create & Publish a Virtual App with Microsoft App-V – YouTube
Microsoft App-V – Virtual Applications | TechNet
Virtual security switch External links:
Virtual security switch – WOW.com
Montego Networks – Virtual Security Switch – Gabes …
Windows Server 2008 R2 External links:
Download Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service …
Windows Server 2008 R2 is a serveroperating system produced by Microsoft. It was released to manufacturing (RTM) on July 22, 2009 and launched on October 22, 2009. According to the Windows Server Team blog, the retail availability was September 14, 2009.
Windows on Windows External links:
Windows On Windows – YouTube
Unable to run Docker for Windows on Windows 10 Ent – GitHub
Oracle VM Server for x86 External links:
[PDF]Oracle VM Server for x86 Virtualization and …
Oracle VM Server for x86 | Oracle Community
[PDF]Hard Partitioning with Oracle VM Server for x86
VCloud Air External links:
VMware vCloud Air – User Management
VMware vCloud Air
VMware vCloud Air
Software release life cycle External links:
Skill Pages – Software release life cycle | Dice.com
Software release life cycle | 9to5Mac
Software Release Life Cycle – Quora
Cloud computing External links:
Cloud Computing | Oracle
REAN Cloud – Managed Services | Cloud Computing | …
Microsoft Azure Cloud Computing Platform & Services
Application virtualization External links:
Hotfix Package 1 for Microsoft Application Virtualization 5.1
VMware Infrastructure External links:
Managing a VMware Infrastructure in VMM
VMware Infrastructure Planner
[PDF]VMware Infrastructure Architecture Overview
Virtual DOS machine External links:
What is NT Virtual DOS Machine? Webopedia Definition
Virtual DOS machine – Revolvy
http://www.revolvy.com/topic/Virtual DOS machine&item_type=topic
Virtual DOS Machine Debug (Windows) – msdn.microsoft.com
Distributed Overlay Virtual Ethernet External links:
Distributed Overlay Virtual Ethernet – WOW.com
DOVE means Distributed Overlay Virtual Ethernet – All …
ICore Virtual Accounts External links:
ICore Virtual Accounts – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/ICore Virtual Accounts
ICore Virtual Accounts – WOW.com
Parallels Desktop for Mac External links:
Support & Installation | Parallels Desktop for Mac
Download Parallels Desktop for Mac for only $39.99 | …
Linux namespaces External links:
Linux Namespaces – Ed King – Medium
GitHub – netblue30/firejail: Linux namespaces and …
HOWTO use Linux namespaces with ns-3 – Nsnam
Proxmox VE External links:
Windows VirtIO Drivers – Proxmox VE
Compare Proxmox VE vs VMware vSphere, Hyper-V, …
Proxmox VE 5.0 Installation & Setup – YouTube
VMware vSphere External links:
Download URLs for VMware vSphere Client (2089791)
XenServer – Citrix XenServer vs. VMware vSphere – Citrix
VMware vSphere – YouTube
Workload Partitions External links:
AIX 6.1 Workload Partitions – IBM
[PDF]Exploiting IBM AIX Workload Partitions
Virtual Iron External links:
[PDF]Virtual Iron’s Server Virtualization Is Ironclad – …
Virtual Iron Software | Crunchbase
Oracle and Virtual Iron
VMware ThinApp External links:
NDM | VMware ThinApp Price | shop
Enabling VMware ThinApp virtual applications for …
Understanding Isolation Modes in VMware ThinApp – …
FreeBSD jail External links:
Can’t start as service on FreeBSD jail FreeNAS – Google …
Iocage – A FreeBSD jail manager | Hacker News
Comparison of platform virtualization software External links:
Comparison of platform virtualization software – …
Desktop virtualization External links:
Performance Tuning for Remote Desktop Virtualization …
MED-V – Microsoft Desktop Virtualization | TechNet
[PDF]Desktop Virtualization (VDI) Overview VMware …
Virtual Machine Manager External links:
Virtual Machine Manager
Virtual Machine Manager Cmdlets – technet.microsoft.com
Virtual Machine Manager Documentation | Microsoft Docs
Hardware virtualization External links:
How to Enable Hardware Virtualization – MEmu App Player
VMware Horizon View External links:
VMware Horizon View
VMware Horizon View Overview – YouTube
VMware Horizon View – New York